Saturday, August 11, 2012

pretty...


...pictures; now available in fun-size for your pocket...

I spent my saturday testing a theory, and buying a camera.

caught a bus out to the IMAX to re-watch the Dark Knight Rises, and stopped in at the local camera store to lay my hands on a new point and shoot camera (small enough to keep on my work belt)

after waiting 1/2 hr for the salesperson to serve me, it only took 30 seconds to make up my mind... even though it was expensive, and I still hadn't been paid - I wanted it!

purchase made, I headed over to the IMAX and tested my theory on Cinema-watching causing my BPPV.

long story short - it seems to (this wouldn't be confirmed of course, until I saw a "regular" movie on monday at a "normal" sized cinema)

grabbed a burger and rode out the nausea, before jumping on a return bus for a restful evening.

couldn't help but start playing with the camera


nicely obscured billboard for a grocery store while I await my bus-transfer...





in-camera HDR on the bus (it's a little too severe for my liking, so I'm patiently awaiting an upgrade for my post-processing program of choice)





on my way to pick-up some assorted hiking/tech-gear, photo opportunities abound...


on Sunday, I was offered the chance to head south with my Mixer and his Girlfriend, for an afternoon of chillin by the cove.
how can you refuse that.



post-car-wash affirmation





extremely clean crop from a wide-shot, taken while reading on a deck





ok, so the weather wasn't the best...





but it made for a great excuse to light a fire...





Mixers-girlfriends-parents have an amazing place...





getting arty with the camera...





...and, again...


the afternoon of relaxation lead into an evening of pure sloth-i-ness at home in Halifax.

Monday was a provincial holiday, and I decided to re-test my movie-trigger theory by checking out Total Recall at the uber-close theatre.

Sadly it seems as though sitting in a dark room and focussing on the screen really isn't a good thing for me right now :(

back to work on Tuesday


on-set-photography-goodness-returns! (vague enough to not reveal anything important)





B-Cam Slate for ep 209 sc24 tk3 = ROLL 222...





Mr D, on CBC in Januar-y...





scorpion-twins return...





yup, that IS a pirate-flag on the comtek transmitting ariel...





Zans' Sound cart for season 2





another POV... (finally stopped wearing the BIG belt at work, as all I really need is the sticky-tape for small radio mic adjustments)





B-cam breaks out the 12x for a detail CU (it's a big'un)





nice alternative to running the camera cables around the other side of the set...


By wednesday it was looking like the payroll saga would drag-on forever... our awesome 3rd AD took it upon himself to drive me to the service canada office in Dartmouth on our lunch-break, so I could have yet-another-chat, and try to get my SIN card re-issued with the correct expiry date.

oh how easy it is when all the pieces are in place...

less than 20mins later I had a confirmation letter, and promise of the card in the mail.



driving back, we encountered my weekly WTF





sunset from 1001 Winchester...





couldn't help myself (this is why I love keeping a camera with me at work)
as a quick aside - the iphone variation of this shot became my most popular photo on facebook - for some reason a lot of people "like" reflections





SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!! (again, it's an ultra clean crop from the new 1" 20MP sony sensor)





yet another POV, this time of the funky CP46 (*clothes pegs in the film industry are referred to by their order code, so people don't laugh at the absurdity of using a "clothes peg" to attach lighting diffusion/gels)





geometric-colours on my lunch-plate ('twas delicious by the way)





poker-chips and our key-grip, check out that depth of field (on a camera that fits in yer' pocket = WOW)





JJ-flare-a-liscious





shadow-play...





high-angle = Radio-mics and a little boom fill





booming all the flags of the world (or at least as many as the local high school has in their cafeteria)



Friday brought on two amazing developments in the "is Ian getting paid, or did he just 'donate' an entire summer of booming" saga.

firstly a large envelope was delivered to me containing all 7 weekly pay-slips and cheques.

less than half an hour later...

I was handed a piece of mail from service canada containing a new SIN card!

uh oh...

it's the one that we ordered over 2 weeks ago - sent to the office (and not the new address from wednesday)...

because it was ordered from a time BEFORE my "official" visa was "printed" - the date is different...

I foresee more Bureaucratic F*ck-ups in my future...





over 7 weeks of stress... gone in an instant :)




whatever happens from this point on, I've deposited the cheques :)

hopefully I'll have more adventures to report on next week.

all the best

Ian

No comments: