Sunday, August 29, 2010
...of 4 (or 8 of 9, depending on how you see it)
off the island, up and down and all around.
Monday was all about the sub-terrainian (Tunnels in Rozelle).
Thursday was my first Rooftop shoot in a major city - it's pretty cool (except for the number of stairs you need to climb once the elevator goes to its maximum height)
I saw Scott Pilgrim vs the World on saturday (highly recommended) and today was a little hike around the cliffs of Manly to the crater cove...
only one more week to go, before I head back to brisbane. Sadly I'll only be in town for a single day - before heading south again for a three week feature shoot in Northern western NSW.
Sound Recordist Mask
helicopter outside hospital location
harbour bridge from the passenger terminal in circular quay
impressive tunnel entrance set
check out point 4.
goat island from the roof
Stills-photographer shooting actors off-set
fx recording in the aircon plant room of the building
nice lunch view
one of our actors waiting
Plane and kites
is this parasailing? sit-gliding? whatever it is - this guy was having fun with the up-drafts
glider, and flag
hut on cliff face of crater cove
kites in the park
Fluffy-tail on a hot-rod.
Sunday, August 22, 2010
'twas a weekend of film watching.
I've seen a few films at the Darling Harbour IMAX (billed as the largest screen in the world), and I've gotta say, it's a little hit and miss to be honest.
Beowulf 3D (thumbs down), Dark Knight (big thumbs up for the IMAX sections), Inception (thumbs down for the opening sequence, too shaky to make any sense of), and Hubble 3D (meh)
The screen is shockingly big (I know, that's the whole point) - but their 3D system is absolutely atrocious. for some reason (perhaps the massive screen that encompasses your entire periphery, mixed in with a circular polarized system)
there's a whole lot of ghosting, and it can get very distracting. The glasses are cheap warped plastic deals, that are designed to sit against your forehead. it's a little underwhelming, especially as their regular IMAX presentations are so good.
as for the Hubble film - it's pretty standard IMAX fare, and the intercutting of "real" footage, with up-rezzed video that was shot by the astronauts in space, was a nice touch.
So much of it was animated (while pretending to be actual hubble footage) that I was a little thrown... of course, they'd then cut to "the" shot (camera attached to the payload bay window) and i was completely able to forgive all the short comings. WOW.
other things I got up to this weekend
- I voted (*which, as an interstate voter was an interesting exercise in waiting...)
- I tried on some hiking boots (for the trip in december)
- I also tried on some "five fingers" "shoes" (if you're curious, google them) - discovering that I have toes of an odd length...
- I took a bunch of photos, and walked around a fair bit in the city
- I caught a bus and a train (which is exactly 200% more public transport than I've caught in the last 5 years)
- I bought a few more douglas adams books (the Dirk Gently series, which I've somehow never managed to read)
- I saw SALT; which is completely preposterous, yet strangely satisfying as a blockbusting action flick.
- I printed out a few photos from the last few weeks (cheap printing at harvey norman, just remember to format your USB stick before filling it with the images you ACTUALLY want to print - otherwise it'll try to load ALL of your photos from when you swapped over from a PC to a mac)
- I watched a few DVDs - that michael moore "doco" on capitalism (what a crappy film maker, certainly slipped since the 9/11 film), Baraka; plus a retrospective doco on the making of the groundbreaking 1992 film, Team America World Police, and about 10 episodes of Scrubs season 3.
- (this past week) I watched Breaker Morant, Notting Hill, Season 2 of Scrubs, and a film from the 50s? called Harvey, about a guy who sees a 6ft rabbit.
- I did the laundry (which sadly at the moment, means dropping it off at a laundromat)
- I read a script, for what could end up being my next project.
- I typed out a bunch of words, and added a few photos to this blog.
so, yup - pretty busy.
Photo time - then bed so I can wake up and do it all again.
week 3 (or 8, depending on your point of view) coming up.
nice couple walking along darling harbour
what happens when I TRY to get a nice flare
As opposed to the shot at the head of this post, which was completely accidental (you know, when you're walking down the street, and you casually shoot off a few frames from the hip, hoping that it might be an interesting shot - then you're rewarded with absolute magic - well that is how I got the photo at the beginning of this post, and since it was early on in my travels, it put me in a super-good mood for the rest of the day)
flowers! (the exclamation point is for added zoomy emphasis)
skateboarders in Hyde park
gotta go up that bloody tower at some stage, man is it fun to find angles on it as you walk around (*it's always popping up around corners)
Friday, August 20, 2010
week 2 is done.
don't forget to vote.
Boomin' the opera house
action on the steps
Water Taxi back to the island
passing under the bridge
Carpet on the medical centre set.
about to roll
fabric tape = boomies best friend: (weekly macro shot edition)
bommin in the smoke
pretty sunset reflected
...told you it was pretty.
The city at night, as seen from the island.
ok, I'm off to bed - see you all in another few weeks