Saturday, July 07, 2012

O' Canada...


...your immigration dislikes meeeee!

more info about that later.

first up, Canada Day.

I'd been offered the chance to join in some festivities on the SW coast of Nova Scotia (about 1+1/2 hrs away) and gladly tagged along with my camera.



apparently there's an on-going generational feud between two families in the local town...





...each year, on canada day...





...they pelt the crap out of each other with water-balloons...





...and water-pistols...





...given the temperature of the day, I was tempted to join in...





...but it was brutal, and I was hoping that my international status afforded me immunity (thankfully no-one was targeting journalists)...





...nothing like a victorious (or cowardly) dive off the pier. To be honest, I didn't see any clear winner - guess it'll have to be settled next year...





post-war fishing results... less than 20 seconds casting off, this squid took the bait... no kidding, under half-a-minute... wasn't too happy, but thankfully he didn't ink 'till getting back into the water





appropriately themed footwear... and toe-art





dog-goes for a swim in the local lake...





...he was retrieving a stick... and never got bored...





BBBQ, the extra B is for...





nice view





Sound-mixer vs his girl-friends-father square-off





thought it'd be a quick game, but they both take it fairly seriously - and the game was still going several hours later... never found out the winner to be honest...





just watchin' some fishin boats...





alt angle





another flag shot (it's canada day, what do you expect?)





kicking back with a chocolate stout (looking at aforementioned boat)





awesome textures





cool cove lighting






even cooler colours (thanks picasa auto-contrast)





ACTION!





local island





at sunset = awesome





another gull





what would a national holiday be without fireworks?





next morning view from my overnight accom.





impending storm...





...caused some traffic snarls (or was it just the post holiday "rush"?)





...bit of both





didn't last too long, post storm view somewhere in south halifax





another view off my balcony





D season two, shot on RED ONE MX



Weekly WTF

license plate is awesome, how does one get so beat-up... and on such a new vehicle





actress waits in the sun





afternoon substantial meal (subs) involved a hotdog, and some horseradish mayonaise... 'twas simply amazing.

especially as I was in the midst of a fairly severe man-flu.

yup, I'd managed to avoid it for a few days (several crew members getting hit just before the long weekend), falling victim right on our return to work...

...decided to get my yearly sunburn out of the way mid-week as well (first one since deciding to start shaving my head) - so I finished the week as one congested-stuffy-burnt (and burnt-out) sniveling-mess of an excuse for a human...

...who is unable to be paid right now, because; surprise, surprise... the payroll company won't accept my work visa either! (services canada - SIN being the other)

numerous phone conversations later...

I need a re-print (technically a first-time-print)

there's no phone number to call? but a fax number to send a cover letter and photocopies of my stuff...

basically, the Vancouver international Airport office has failed to enter me into the system, and I need to deal with them directly.

oh well...

catch you all next week.

Ian

P.S. had a rough decision; which 3D mega-movie to go and see? in my current state of feeling "under-the-weather", thought i'd take a punt on the new pixar film as being a more uplifting choice than revisionist-presidential-history, or web-slinging angsty-teens... BRAVE is pretty darn good, so I'm happy with the choice.

No comments: