Sunday, February 07, 2010

Sun...


...shine


today was close to a perfect day,

10 cms of fresh snow (flurries) over the past 24 hrs is a fantastic way to start your last day in town.

since the WEST BOWL T-Bar (off the back side of mt Tod) is only open on weekends; it had a nice collection of powder accumulate over the week.

The top of Tod mountain was also above the fog today :) so it was skiing fresh tracks in the sun (even better)...

logged a lot of vertical today, only pausing to collect my camera for some photos in the afternoon, once the fog in the valley cleared up.

My knee held up pretty well – and I sucessfully managed to not injure myself any further.

when I stopped in to collect my camera; I discovered a little gift sitting just inside my front door.

It turns out that one of the managers of tourism sun peaks had read my recent blog entry re: adventurous travel from vancouver (big hello to Christina). Along with the card was a bottle of wine and a nifty bottle opener.

Wow; was definitely not expecting that. I've gotta say that as far as pleasant surprises go – this is a very good one...

I should probably clarify a few things;

The drivers from the shuttle company were always professional, courteous, and genuinely felt bad about the mistake. I wasn't really inconvenienced in any way - as i'd always planned to settle in during my afternoon arrival, and I still managed to pick up my lift ticket for the next day.

Lastly, Sun Peaks has been a fantastic holiday destination. The entire mountain has been amazingly firendly and welcoming. Absolutely everyone - the lift company staff, shopkeepers, and especially the locals; have been nothing short of fantastic.

It's something that I always look forward to when travelling to a ski-town. Everyone you meet – loves the snow-sports culture, and is genuinely pumped to be there.

Photo-time.

- top of the world – highest lifted point at sun peaks – top of the burfield chair



- Facespace photo from the top.



- Ski patrol “warming-hut” at the top.



- Closer shot of the burfield chair.



- Caution (steep descent to the crystal bowl area)



- The crystal chair



- unloading station of the crystal



- entry to the bowl (which had been shrouded in fog all week)



- my skis...



- arty stuff – chairlift shadow



- more arty stuff – chairlift sillhouette



- nicely cut-up run at the end of the day – unsure of the run, could be “lunch time”...



- sunset through the trees (filtered through my ski goggles)

ok, I guess that's it from sunpeaks, sadly the time has come to return to the heat down under.

Tonight is - Pack-then-Party.

Tomorrow morning is - shuttle to airport, fly to Vancouver, store skis, meet some people for lunch/etc, and finally – board another 15+ hr flight...

see ya

Bonus photo


- detail of the silhouette chairlift...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ian. Received your voicemail from the weekend, glad you enjoyed the wine! And I just found out you met Melanie from our office, she says "hi". Hope the rest of your travels are going well.
Take care - Christina, Tourism Sun Peaks