Friday, April 20, 2007

Driving...


here's what I've learned from my little jaunt down the new england highway, from Brisbane to Sydney.

1 - 13 hrs in a car is actually MUCH longer than you think it will be (feels more like 24)

2 - my car likes to cruise along at 100kms/hr (almost seemed to get smoother as the journey went along)

3 - the new england highway is REALLY like NEW england (seriously it felt like I was driving through some slightly browner english fields) I guess it may have been the Yellow leaves falling, and the general rolling hills

4 - stopping and taking a break will actually make you MORE tired about 15 mins into the next part of your journey

5 - Driving into Sydney on a Thursday night in peak-hour traffic is NOT the best way to be introduced to it's road-system. ARRRRGH, which lane (of the 8) do I need to be in, was I supposed to take that exit that's just done a loop-di-do? ooooooh that IS a pretty harbor bridge, $3? where was my option for avoiding the toll? Why does everyone insist on driving so aggressively; when the roads are narrow, and in fairly shoddy condition? it's impossible to park anywhere, I hate this place... and you've arrived at your destination. Perhaps I need to buy a SAT NAV.

ok Pictures time,

first up is a shot of the stone-henge monument in Glenn Innes.



next is a shot of the rest area I stopped at when the pink elephants were swimming around my head too much to keep driving (I know that the pink elephants are more related to being Drunk than being tired, but I couldn't think of which animal circles around your head when you're tired, birdies are for concussion; hmmmm, perhaps I'm just too tired now as well.) also - if you squint, it ALMOST looks like a pink elephant.... no?



And now the view from the top.



the afore mentioned colours - since I couldn't pick, I've included two shots





ever wondered how the line-markings are made on a highway - well that truck at the front drives along at about 20km/hr spraying the dividing line, and cars try to overtake it on the left (of course if you throw a caravan into the mix, things can get a little difficult.)



Finally; a shot of what looks like the "tree of life" as depicted in the recent movie, "the fountain" (whose soundtrack in on in the background as I write this).



so I guess that's it, till next time

see ya

Ian

No comments: