Sunday, August 19, 2018

positivity #35



AirPods

The older I get, the more I want my personal technology-stuff to be small, and to work without effort (especially as someone who is paid to deal with delicate electronics in uncontrolled environments...)

First it was a cheap mac mini in June of 2010 - still going strong, with some additional RAM in 2012, and a new SSD hard drive last month to speed things back up. That's over 8 years later!!!

I purchased my first iPhone in December of 2010, and upgraded in January of 2014 - still going strong with the 5s (although I did replace the battery last month)

I can count on one hand, the number of times that my phone has left me with a desire to replace it... and only then because of it's speed (which a re-start seemed to fix) - I'll be first in line for a new 'small-screen' iPhone as I can't stomach the size of the new ones...

My first iPad was the mini in 2012 (sold it in 2017 for 1/3 it's purchased price, and bought a 'new' one last year.) It's extremely transportable and just works - again, first in line for a new "mini" that has up to date internals


Now come the AirPods.
As a "Sound-guy" you'd think that I would have some kind of opinion about the quality of the audio, and how it isn't worth the trade-off to be wireless.

...nope, I love 'em.

It's been truly transformative to be able to listen to a podcast, watch a seminar, or listen to music - without having to worry about the buds falling out of my ears, or cables getting in the way.

So far - they just work. 

For the types of listening that I'm doing with them, it's a case of - good-enough quality, with freedom of movement, and simple automatic connection; being way more important than all-out quality.

At work - I'll probably never be able to lose the cable, but at home - it's wire-free.



No comments: