Tuesday, May 02, 2017

WTF #6

It was cold and wet again yesterday (thanks for the single day of spring, weather-gods) and as I tore up some papers to start the wood-stove (or "fireplace" for all my aussie readers), I noticed something that made me giggle, then get a little sad for the state of what they now present as 'news' in my part of the world.



Please note that I cared so little about the date of the article that I have no idea when it graced the local paper, just that it happened in the last two months.

The reason that I giggled was mostly because I couldn't get this image out of my mind


ahhhh classic Simpsons, is there anything that you can't do?

It got me thinking though, the man in the article probably just wanted people to know about the 'scam' in question - he's a storied war vet, didn't want others to fall for what is obviously a problem for many people 'round these parts.

But the Headline! 

It's like they're making him out to be a hero... by doing 'nothing'...

...as in, he 'ACTIVELY TOOK NO ACTION' and we're what? supposed to celebrate that he didn't go out and hand a bunch of scammers access to his life savings? 

y'know what a better headline would have been? 

"MAN WARNS ABOUT MAIL SCAM"

"MAN HI-LIGHTS DANGERS OF FRAUDSTERS TARGETING THE VULNERABLE"

did the "reporter" really need to use the word "AVOIDS"?

(please note that the paper in question is still engaged in what is now a longer-than-year-old strike by it's journalists and that its quality was never exactly stellar to begin with)


ok - enough of the mini-rant.

Here's a picture of Kevin stretching in front of the fire. 



  

No comments: