Thursday, May 11, 2017

speed re-cap #13


Something about steering... 11th May 2017 - Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia has a general election in the next month, and over the past few days, I've been visited by two out of the three candidates for my electorate

I say 'my' electorate... 

...however, I won't be able to vote by the time this particular election happens on may 30th.

Neither of the candidates are presently in office, though one of them is a member of the ruling party. (a party that I should mention, through complete misguided-muppetry, has managed to scare away the very life-blood of the industry that I work in) 

I'm curious about local politics, as, being new, I'm playing catch-up with who believes in what... There was definitely a stark contrast in the ways that these two candidates answered my numerous questions.

The first one was filled with compassion, understanding, and dare I say it - conviction, that they would 'work for' their constituents, even if it meant publicly disagreeing with the head of their party. They were able to present with clear, easy to understand plans; what they were proposing to do if they were elected.

The other, straight-up admittied that they would 'tow the party line' to show 'solidarity' with their leader, even if the majority of the people in their riding were actively against a policy.

It's been gnawing away at me since this second candidate left my front door...

I feel completely powerless when it comes to helping shape the political landscape of my community - like I'm a driver that can't touch the wheel.

So I'd like to encourage all my friends and family in NS to become engaged and vote.
I don't care who you vote for - but exercise your right as a Canadian citizen. I'm not able to - but I damn well wish I could

****Update*****

As I was typing up this post, a representative for the third candidate (the present sitting member) sneakily placed a generic card with a handwritten message of 'sorry I missed you' on the door, knowing full well that people were home (they saw Lisa pull into the driveway.) 
I can't say that I am all that impressed with a campaign that is ok with straight up lying like that - it seems a little shady that the candidate isn't even in the area at the time that they're "sorry" that they "missed me"...

No comments: