Monday, August 22, 2011

Heading south-west, part 2 of...


...three...ish.

picking up where we left off; I'm back in Vancouver.

thursday = packing, and sorting out my life...

friday = dropping off my sound gear and ski-boots at the local TNT for shipping, purchasing a new carry-on bag, and more packing

saturday = nice brunch with the gang, more packing, organising car-storage/etc and one last hike up deep cove.

I didn't do the "run" as I'm way-out-of-shape, and had my camera with me.

Photos



pre-dawn on my last canadian morning for a while.





looking up on the Baden Powel trail *(on the way to grey rock)





It's also known as the deep cove hike...





...a nice 40 min walk... (or 16 minute run if you're up to the challenge)





...there's plenty of awesome forrest to look at...






...and it can certainly get quite atmospheric at times...






Lots of stairs, and even a few wooden bridges...





...many made by local volunteers.





The path isn't always level, with quite a few exposed tree roots.




occasionally, the sun breaks through...





...which makes for an awesome lens flare





end of the trail = the grey rock





view of the inlet





looking back at deep cove





boats





tree at the top


It was time to head home for a quick shower, then off to the airport...


pretty flowers in the back-yard





27 deg, perfect summer weather eh?





final sunset in Vancouver





looking back at the north shore mountains





freeway overpass





last light





YVR





I was expecting to be hit with a few excess and overweight baggage charges.
On the flight from australia, I was allowed 2 bags of 25kg each; however, in the past 4 months, Air Canada changed their rules, and international flights are only supposed to allow one 23Kg bag!

For some reason the kind lady behind the counter allowed me to check a 25.9kg bag, a 10.9kg bag, and even my boom poles without penalty. Woo hoo.





random people wait at the terminal





my last view of vancouver - the departure lounge





view from my seat





departing





arriving sydney

during the flight I watched
- "the greatest movie ever sold" (morgan spurlock doco on product placement = most meta movie ever!)
- "the high cost of living" (reasonable molodrama with Zach Braff)
- "happythankyoumoreplease" (Ted from how I met your mother, writes directs and stars... in a halfway decent romantic drama with likeable lead characters, a weird premise, and a weak ending.)

there was also plenty of time to nap (90% of the flight was in darkness), and read...



random qantas jet





another one...





taxi-ing out of sydney





wing-tip somewhere along the east coast of australia





near the border QLD/NSW



well, I'm back in OZ - and things are...ok

it's currently rainy and blowing a gale in brisbane...

my phone has been re-connected with the same number it's always been in Australia = 0414 468 413

time to un-pack, sort, and re-pack for the next 4+1/2 months...

No comments: