Saturday, April 09, 2011

under...


...20

Friday = You know that you're in for a good day when peering out the window reveals frost on the roof of your car



Let's back-up a little bit, to Wednesday; for gear collection, and customs stuff...



well that was easy.

With my sound equipment safely in the country; there's one last thing I needed to sort out before seriously looking for work: the collection of my skis.

those of you who were unfortunate enough to be anywhere near me at the end of last year; know in great detail the saga of: 'my-skis-are-in-canada' while 'I'm-planning-to-go-to-austria'.

in the end, perhaps this wasn't such a bad thing.

Vancouver has had an amazing winter, and is currently experiencing an amazing spring (skiing season).

after organising a little meet-up to collect my skis, I decided to head up the nearest mountain for an afternoon-slide.

turns out the nearest mountain is under 20 minutes away (17+1/2 to be exact)...



driving up the mountain road (3 mins from my current accommodation)




the "base" of a lift at Mount Seymour




all the chairs appear to be fixed doubles.




very good advice




ahhhhhh, they still fit - the edges are a little rusty (not a metaphor - there's actual RUST on the tails...) but they still work.




Skiers ski, Snowboarders jump...




...or sit




'tis very pretty




this is why I travelled halfway around the globe




Mt Baker - in the United States of America...




looking out to sea




groomers groomin'




pretty, pretty




sparkly-snow...




looking back at the seabus terminal on the lower mainland. (from the last post)




looking at East-Vancouver/Burnaby




the 2nd Narrows Bridge (Hwy 1 East - my only practical link to the lower-mainland. it is the life-line, unless I travel 1/2 hr west onto the Lions Gate)




Vancouver city




boats and the Lions Gate Bridge leading into Stanley Park




pretty, pretty, pretty




It was around 10deg when I started skiing at 1700. By the time I took this photo (1830) it was 4 deg. When I left (1930), it was around 2-3deg.




crow




Canadian version of camping...




driving down the "hill"




from the carpark on Mount Seymour down the hill = 14mins. from the bottom of the hill to my accommodation = under 3 mins.


tomorrow is the weekend = time to get out and about. (more likely it'll rain, and I'll be sore from the jogging/weights/skiing)

See ya

1 comment:

Aurelius said...

Nice man, good to see Skian in his element. - Aurelius