Sunday, January 30, 2011

Velcome to...


...wien (vienna)

after saying our goodbyes on the train at innsbruck (well, sarah managed to wave at the wrong bag), I stayed onboard for another 5+1/2 hrs, finally arriving in vienna.

accommodation was pretty easy to sort out. information desk. map. multiple options.

I went with the first choice, which was closest, as you can expect when thinking about the temperature.

1st night's accom = 16 euero = awesome...

up at 0900 to sort out transport to paris, and get my washing done.

reception will take care of washing for a pretty tidy sum (starting to see the cheap bed as a necessity)

find out the costs of train-vs-flying to paris.

train takes 14 hrs and is around 200 euro and done over night with a transfer in munich

flying takes around 2 hrs and is around 170 euro. can be done at early evening

decide to book the flight later, and hit the town for some photos.

here's the thing about vienna in the winter, on a sunday. It's really cold, grey, and empty...

was starting to think that i'd done my usual thing where I get myself lost in a city on the first day (usually in some industrial area), and then have to dig my way out; which means a lot of walking.

sure, I still got lost - but I managed to take some nice photos, visit the modern art museum, the haus der musik, and the opera.

like most of my city-bound walking adventures, I tend to forget to eat...
once my body reminded me at 1800 that i'd only had a coffee and pretzel for breakfast, i sought out the austrian equivelent of a hot dog - the schnitzel box...

I also managed to get lost on the way home (wrong tram + wrong direction), but that was easily fixed and I made it back to the accommodation in time to upgrade my room (solo with ensuite for 39euro)

even with the cold; the 8+hrs of non-stop walking; the 2 hrs standing to get tickets, and then standing while watching the opera (only 3euro to stand unreserved) - I still managed to fall in love with this city.

the architecture is interesting to me *(well, different), there are pretty women everywhere (all dressed immaculately i might add), and it has a good vibe.

note to self, must come back to vienna.

photos


pretty streets




there's one in almost every city... I held out pretty long too, not until I was walking home after 7+hrs of solid footwork did I fall prey to the grande mocha goodness




see - pretty all over the place




they sure do like their statues here in vienna




sign posting your arrival into the museum quarter (quite touristy, but a good place to start)




some statues and a big old building, just across the way from the museum quarter, before I got to what looked like a palace (but was probably just a parliament building)




another angle on the big old building




tourists flock around




statue of that fraz joseph guy again




pretty church spire that I was kind of using as a landmark to navigatge




another angle on the man known as franz




doggies playing in the park




at the base of the church? (which was closed) was a massive ice-skating rink filled to the brim with happy vieneese




more of the winter festival ice-skating rink




now this is what I think of when you say traditional european architecture




just like this




one of the many churches around




everything here is named after a composer, freud, einstein, or that franz joseph guy




local taxi (horse and carriage rides for the tourists)




fancy shopping areas




I guess he told a lie




yup no kangaroos here in austria, though I did see a kangaruh in st antons




looking, looking



where the "ultra real" exhibit was




it's not performance art, in case you were wondering. it's a life size statue.




looks like a photo = an ultra-real painting




who's brad? probably not that guy




interesting to see people looking at people who are looking...




yup, it's a naked chick riding a hippo




painting of the venus, updated for the new millenium




aparently it haunts her revierie




awesome floating rock thing. it was actually floating, and I couldn't discern how it was held there....





the haus der musik (music museum) has a fairly large section devoted to the classical vienese composers, here's a shot of one of beethovens' notepads





the vienna state opera house
standing tickets are only 3 euro, as long as you don't mind waiting in the cold up to 2 hrs before show time, to ensure you actually get a ticket (first come first served), and then wrestling for a position to watch from... (normally reserved with a scarf) once the show starts, be sure to defend your position from the rude elderly french couple...




night time in vienna


ok, off to hit the town for some more coffe-fuelled tourism, before an early evening flight into paris.

auf widersein vienna, you rock

No comments: