Sunday, January 23, 2011

It's cold...


...really cold.

I didn't seem to be as affected in the past – but on this particular trip, whenever I exit a building and walk somewhere, for the first 10 minutes I'm involuntarially shaking – it's weird

There are a few differences between St Antons (I'm guessing most european resorts), and those in north america/australia/NZ

I guess the biggest would be the terrain. It's vast and open, nothing much below the tree line. There aren't “runs” as such – more like the ski patrol/operations have just decided to stick poles all over the place, to guide you around... going “off piste” isn't really like going back-country. Don't get me wrong, theres a whole bunch of grooming going on - and that causes a "run" to be made, it just doesn't feel the same as i'm used to.

Next most noticable thing to me has been the attitude of skiiers/boarders – put simply, it's shit.

The lift lines are a push-and-shove kind of thing, and the general level of courtesy on the slope is pretty appalling. I guess this is what you get when there's so many people, from so many different countries all bashing around the same area.

Lifts are great; their distances, and times, are pretty long. 4+min gondola feels like 12...

lift-passes are cool swipe cards that you can leave in a pocket and breeze through a gate.

Ok, Photos


First up is a shot from just outside my accom in Zurich. As you can see there's snow on the ground.




Next is a shot of kevin hangin'out on the balcolny of our accom. in St Antons




Random run




self-shooter


I'm pretty jet-lagged, and mega worn-out from a big first day's skiing, so i'll keep this one short.

Catch you all later

No comments: