Tuesday, January 26, 2010

repairs...



...complete.

I've owned my ski-goggles since the 2nd week of my season in Whistler (way back in december, 2000)

for the past 9+ years, they've held-up pretty well.

sadly, on my last trip to N.Z. the foam on top, which keeps snow away from the INSIDE of the goggles, finally deteriorated.

Possible solutions: Either purchase a new set (over $160); or attempt a repair job.

today's goal was to source a supply of replacement foam.

The Home depot (think bunnings, but bigger) was a successful first stop.

it turns out that the best foam was from a cheap pourous paint brush at $1.49 (bought 2 incase I screwed it up). Add the cost of the glue ($3.99), and for less than $10 (including a coffee), I managed to knock-up a nifty repair.


Sure; it'll probably fall apart on my first day of skiing this coming monday - but for a brief, shining moment - I truly felt like a handy man (or some kind of amazonian craft woman with hairy legs, and no boobs).

what else has been going on.

- caught up with another local sound team (big g'day to graham and blair) at a local vegetarian restraunt (the chilli was good - the beer even better).

- watched another hockey game on TV; and it was so exciting, that I decided to buy a ticket to tomorrow nights canucks game. Vancouver home games are almost always sold out, and the tickets are ridiculously expensive (more than most concerts). but why not - I am on holidays after all.

- continued to get my driving goove-on, traveling around to a local "hill" (technicaly it is mount burnaby, but c'mon, this is vancouver we're talking about; if it hasnt got snow, it 'aint a mountain...)

- hit the phones to line up any last remaining sound related catch-ups.

Photos


war memorial, downtown (across the road from the Vancouver Film School)




detail of the alley-way power transformers (loving the industrial look of the back-alleys)




Standing in front of some kind of indiginous sculptue at a park in burnaby




the view of the city (amazing light)




the road up to the park

ok, time to repair the bottom part of my goggles, see ya later.
Ian



BONUS PHOTO

alternate angle of the road leading up to burnaby mountain conservation area

fun fact = this is where I worked my first day as a locations P.A. back in 2001 - I had the dubious responsibility of "fire watch" over the crew parking on K9III: PI... 8+ hrs at the bottom of the hill with no shelter, food/water or bathroom breaks - the walkie talkie i'd been given was "just" out of range so I couldn't call for help, and to top it all off, I wasn't able to be paid for over 3 months (first of my 01 visa issues, and the last to be resolved). To the accountants credit, she managed to transfer my wages (all $150 of them) onto her next job! and actually paid me once the visa was sorted.

No comments: