Friday, September 07, 2007

I love my job...



...more specifically, I love the things that I get to do in my job.

How many people can say that they’ve recorded the rushing waters of a fast-flowing, croc-infested river-crossing whilst driving single handed, sticking a microphone out the drivers window... At night...

Or sat by yourself in the centre of over 500 head of cattle; 100s of kms from the nearest “city” with only the milky-way lighting your way... (I’m guessing a few more than the river –crossing thing)

In what other profession do they pay for your accommodation, transport, and food; then give you access to a massive dried mud-flat to play cricket on as the sun sets...

Where else can you watch over 1100 cows being mustered by helicopter; whilst a 6-wheel ATV races alongside and a massive wire rig floats a camera mere feet above their heads...

There are of course; downsides.



Many full-time film technicians are lonely souls; so devoted to the pursuit of these amazing sights and experiences, that it’s difficult (if not impossible) to maintain a normal life.



I don’t have any hard statistics, but I’m sure the failure-rate of relationships in the film industry is higher than most others.

It takes a certain type of personality to subject themselves to the “instability” of feature film production. They often work VERY HARD in a short period of time, then not at all; until they get the chance to try again.

That chance may be mere hours after their last job had finished, or months – there’s no telling what will make a crew person (or talent for that matter) hireable.

How do you buy a house; start a family; if you’ve no idea when the next paycheque is coming.

Sorry for the rambling post – but I’m in a reflective mood right now.



This time tomorrow I’ll be back on Main Unit in my usual sound assisting position.

It’s been an amazing run, and I always knew it would come to an end. Just didn’t want it to.

You can expect my posts to become more sporadic as we finish-up in Kununurra throughout the next week, and return to the stages of Sydney.

Once there, I’ll have less to post about (if anything); and it’ll all return to normal as we plow through the interior scenes of this epic film.

It’s been a wild and crazy location shoot, but one that I’ll remember fondly.

PHOTO FROM THE ARCHIVES



Mt Coot-tha Lookout Sunrise 3rd May 2005

Friday 7th September 2007
UPDATE – it’s been almost a week since I composed the entry above.

We returned to Diggers Rest – this time with the full cast and crew for a few days of mad scrambling in the DUST and WIND.

I was bumped up to Boom Op for those days, as our regular boomie had to return early to Sydney; and I have a newfound respect for the sheer amount of work that he does during our shooting day.

I fly our of Kununurra tomorrow. It’s done. There’s a small unit cleaning up various shots here and there, but the majority of us are moving onto the next component of the filming – Studio work in Sydney.

The landscape is still breathtaking; even after 5 weeks of it. If you ever get a chance to make your way up to the far north west – do it.

Ok, time for me to sign off

See ya

Ian

No comments: