Saturday, April 28, 2007

kinda like texas...

it's been a little while since I've worked with top-tier crew on a large-budget feature.

the thing that I've been reminded of most, over the first 2 days of the shoot; is that we really are making a MAJOR movie. the crew is BIG, their tools are BIG, the locations are BIG; even the catering is BIG.

although I'm part of a SMALL department (3-4 crew), even OUR gear is BIG.

the reasons make enough sense when you break it all down and look closely.

it's all an attempt to reduce the waiting time.

So I'm pretty much going to be running the most amount of cable in my life on this job, just for the sake of saving a few seconds stress.

eg. run a mic cable 3 different ways onto a balcony, so that if the camera re-sets and swings around to look the opposite direction, I don't need to rush around re-laying the cable, I've already got a 2nd one at the other end prepped and ready to go. When they move inside, I've got the third cable already run up the stairs; ready to plug into, thus saving another few seconds of stress.

it doesn't make the usual stresses go away - Radio reception is getting crippled, quick - re-position the receivers closer to set; but it gives me something to do whilst my boomie is getting set-up, and means I'm ALMOST ready for any eventuality.

I've got a feeling that this blog may devolve into a simple recounting of my day (as I'm not allowed to mention any specifics, or take any photos on set); so I'm guessing that the posts may become less frequent... also when I lose my free-broadband (we move north on the 10th may) there's a good chance I wont even be able to post.

ok, time to go for a walk (it's my day-off, and I've already replaced both my cars rear tyres; at marginally more expense than if I'd replaced the busted one)

any suggestions, questions, or if you'd like to chat, email me ian@thompsound.com or phone me on 0414 468 413 (promise I'll call back if you have to leave a message).

see ya

No comments: